Smoking Phone Diverts International Flight
What: American Airlines Boeing 767-300 flight AA199 en route from Milan to New York
When: Sept 13 2010
Who: 167 passengers
Why: While the plane was en route, a passenger was charging his cell phone, which started overheating, which set off the fire alarm in the lavatory. The flight diverted to Shannon, where it made a safe landing.
Fire crews at Shannon were on standby during the emergency landing. Airport aircraft maintenance company engineers examined the plane and discovered the melted phone.