Fatal Colombian Military Collision
What: Fuerza Aérea de Colombia MD Helicopters/Hughes 500/530
Where: Chaparral, Tolima Colombia
When: April 20, 2010 1:45 pm
Who: 7 deaths reported
Why: While performing maneuvers, a Bell 222UT helicopter and a Colombian Air Force MDH/Hughes 500/530 crashed on a military garrison near the town of Chaparral, Tolima.
– General Brigadier Fernando Joya Duarte, commander of the Task Force of the South of the Tolima.
– Colonel Brown Arturo Herrera Castaño, commander of Movable Brigade 20.
– Lieutenant Colonel Juan Gonzalo Lopera Echeverry, operations officer of the Task Force of the South of Tolima.
– Aviation technician Eider Vargas Avendaño, crew member.
– Aviation technician Víctor Sorza Pulido, crew member.
– Commander (r.) Rodolfo Garzón Venegas, pilot of Vertical Aviation Bell 222
– Lieutenant of Frigate (r.) Camilo Andrés Cujar, copilot.
The Army Captain Ejército Alejandro Suescún, professional soldier Jairo Suárez, the Air Force lieutenant Alcides Otálora Polo (pilot) and the technician José Hefner Lerma Prieto suffered burns and fractures but survived..