Clutha Helicopter Crash

Tuesday, December 10, 2013
By George Hatcher

The preliminary investigation of the Clutha helicopter crash revealed …

  • 95 liters left in the police helicopter
  • no evidence of engine failure
  • no evidence of gearbox failure
  • all significant components were present
  • all rotor grades were attached at the time of the crash
  • neither main blades nor tail blades were rotating

Other than ruling out what is not the cause, investigators may be no closer to determining the reason the helicopter fell out of the air. The report says there was “no evidence of major mechanical disruption of either engine” of the Eurocopter EC135 as it returned from a police operation in Dalkeith, Midlothian, on the night of the crash.

There were no flight recorders, but there is radar data and radio communications. The pilot had 5,500 hours, 646 in type.

The wreckage is at AAIB’s headquarters, and the investigation continues.

A fund has been opened for the victims. Donations can be made to the fund by calling 0141 287 7878 and paying by debit or credit card. Cash or cheques can be handed in to the council’s service desk at 45 John Street, Glasgow G1 1JE and bank payments can be made to Clutha Appeal Fund, sort code 83-44-00, account 10804129.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tags: , , , ,

RSS Plane Crash News


  • Air
  • AirCrashConsultants
  • Airfleets
  • AOPA
  • Bird Strike Database
  • Bird Strike Database Query
  • EASA
  • FAA
  • Find A Pilot
  • Frixo
  • IATA
  • International Civil Aviation Organization
  • Montreal Convention MC99 English
  • Nasa
  • NOAA
  • NTSB
  • RITA
  • U.S. Office of Special Counsel
August 2018
« Jul    
  • Small Plane Crashes Near Phoenix Deer Valley Airport; 2 Dead
    about 15 hours ago
  • Air New Zealand Flight Makes Emergency Landing in Auckland
    about 15 hours ago
  • LC Peru Flight Makes Emergency Landing in Lima
    about 15 hours ago
  • Two dead in plane crash at 7th Street/Deer Valley, officials say
    about 1 day ago
  • Delta Airlines Flight Returns to St. Louis After Bird Strikes
    about 2 days ago