Based on findings derived from the MD-82′s flight and cockpit voice recorder, the wing flaps of the Spanair airliner (that crashed killing 154 people) were not set for take off, and pilots were unaware of it because the warning alarm did not go off.
The faulty valve that prevented the first attempt at takeoff was disconnected rather than repaired. Planes are allowed to fly for up to 10 days with the system involved disconnected.
Newlywed Brazilian Ronaldo Gomes Silva, 25, and his Spanish wife Yanina Celisdibowsky had been living in the UK for three years. a month ago in Sao Paolo, Brazil, they got married; They had just gotten on a plane to visit the Canary Islands, where Yanina was going to meet her in laws for the first time.
They got on the wrong plane. They were two of the victims of Spanair Flight JK5022.
Juliao Alves da Silva, the groom’s father said: “I have lost my son and a daughter-in-law. I am destroyed.”
I don’t even know these people and I am nearly inconsolable.
- What: Spanair Flight JK5022, a 15-year-old MD-82 jet bound bound for Las Palmas in the Canary Islands.
- Where: Madrid airport Terminal Four
- When: Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2008 2:45pm
- Who: Carrying 166 passengers and nine crew, at the time of this writing, the number of fatalities had mounted to 154 people.
- Why: The jet swerved off the runway and caught fire during takeoff. Spanish ComisiÃ³n de InvestigaciÃ³n de Accidentes e Incidentes de AviaciÃ³n Civil (CIAIAC) is investigating